Upon first glance I see a tree laid upon twelve different sheets and each sheet is a different color. However when I get closer I see that these sheets actually pages from some manuscript. Whether they're from the same manuscript, I can't tell. I notice that the painting over the manuscript, the tree, Is encompassed by a blue box. It seems to be the from for the painting, the tree and the actual frame is meant for the manuscripts. The artist likes to make things in layers.
I notice that the artist made this in twelve steps. He didn't glue the pages together first and then paint, but rather he did each page individually. And for each page, he drew in a different design and made sure to keep the color corresponding to that page. The more bold or noticeable pages are the two in the middle and the second one from the left on the bottom row. They stick out mainly due to the fact that this is the focal point of the piece and also that the lines drawn for the tree are thicker and with heavier strokes. There is even some smudging. I think this is this way because the viewer sees the middle first. If they take the time to look around the middle then they will notice the smaller lines, the more focused and detailed lines.
When we read a story we don't look at the small details around the main idea, or picture in this case, sometimes. Sure this was a very nice tree and I like that he used manuscripts and his backdrop but if I hadn't taken the time to look past that "main focus" I never would have noticed the beautifully detailed lines around it. It's like teachers always told you in grade school, "read between the lines."
This is describing the piece -- but what about turning it into fiction? How would you do this?
ReplyDelete