Sunday, October 19, 2014

Reading Response to Louise Erdrich's "Disaster Stamps of Pluto"

  I have to say I really enjoyed this short story and mainly for the fact of how they went about explaining the story. From the very beginning of the story it seems very introduction-y. And I mean that in a very good sense. It has this very fun way of introducing the town in a way that gives us an idea to who the main character is, her personality, the town itself, and the history of the town. We are also introduced, through giving the history of the town, that this town seems to make itself have the persona that it is interesting and a cause for people to stay. One of these is the mystery of the main character's family being murdered and also the banker running away with all of the towns money. I mean come on. This is a small ass town in North Dakota called Pluto with a population of God knows how many.
  I feel like Erdrich was trying to impose the outlandish event that happen in this small town to give meaning to this only doctor and our main character. Our main character is an older woman with no family and one friend and through these very intense and crazy events that happen in this town, we are given a reason to want to know this woman and continue to be interested in her. The reason being because all of these events are in some way or fashion tied to her: her family, her friend, and her newsletter.

No comments:

Post a Comment