You do an amazing job of describing this town that is Rhodesia, Alabama. The way you describe the contents of the town, the people and their reactions to everything, and also the weather, all of it reminded me when I lived in a very small Alabama town. Another part I really enjoyed was on page four in the assembly when the speaker is hearing all the people talking. It seemed really realistic to me because you have Butch just getting snippets and tail ends of conversation. Some of it made sense, some of it didn't so that is working well for the story.
One thing I was left curious about was the character Carver. I get that the whole story is based around this man dying and we learn a whole lot about him through people talking about him in the assembly and what not but I want to know what Butch thinks of him. When he goes back to his house I like that you have the character conflicting back and forth between the campaign and this man but it just seems unnatural to me because it isn't clear of what kind of relationship these two men had, Carver and Butch. Also you throw in this letter and Butch is so distraught by this his senses are blurred. What is going on here? Why is he so upset? And just as I start thinking about these questions we and in a different part of the room. The ending seems to fast paced and leaves too many unanswered questions.
No comments:
Post a Comment