The second event I went to was one of the local art museum's "Third Thursday" events. It was a special one because it was the Jake Adam York Tribute Reading. I had never heard of this man before but noticing that we moved to a bigger room and had three times as many chairs out I figured that he was very important. When the event started I found out who Jake was and the impact he had on the Auburn poet community. What he wrote the most about was martyrs and supports, their story, of the civil rights movement. I can't think of the new of the type of poetry at the moment.
The night had four speakers, each one was a close friend to Jake. The first was his publisher. He talked about his experience with Jake and how he sent him a copy of his last book only a short time period before his death. He then proceed to read a few of his poem. The next person who went on was another older man. His readings of the Jake poems is what really set me apart that night. He read a poem, a long one, and it was about this very detailed account of a woman experiencing her life pre and during the civil rights movement. And believe me Dr. Spell when I say that it made me teary eyed. (Not just a single glistening tear, sorry I couldn't resist)
After that night, it kind of gave me a jumpstart to start writing creatively again and not just in my poetry but also in my fiction. This inspired me to really dive into my second story and helped me write it from my mother's perspective. It also solidified that I need to write about things other than myself and my emotions, but to try and write about others and other things.
Poetry of witness . . . and I'm glad to hear it jumpstarted your interest in writing about your mom's experiences!
ReplyDelete