Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Response to Simon Winston’s “A Fresh Start (Redone)”

I went into this story very interested and really looking forward to see where it was going to go. I think the introduction to the story is the perfect set up to take this to a multiple of different ideas and the one you choose was good with the weird awkward barber who could be a nice guy or and incredible creeper. When it came to describing your character, I felt you did a very good job of give me as a reader a visual of what he looks like and an insight to how his personality is. One think to go back and look at is how you worked his three looks. Each sentence is very straightforward and bland and it feels that you are only saying these things because you have to. My suggestion would be to reword these sentences and mix them together. Just be careful not to make them to long and have them be a run on.
            There is one part that I got lost and didn’t realize you jumped the time. It was on page 2 were you cut from Jake at his job to him being back at the barber. I like both there parts but I feel that you need to distinguish when time jumps a little more. Another part that needs fleshing out is on page 3, when you are talking about the posters. This is a great descriptive use of what Jake is looking at, kind of gives this idea for what he is thinking, but go into my detail when describing it.
            One part that I felt had the potential to be a great idea for moving plot in a different direction was when the dogs came out; however you never talk about there significance and it leaves me wondering why we are given this information. Add more to it and connect it to why the barber is so creepy.
            The strongest point in the story is when Jake finally is talking about what has been bothering him and believe me, I was not ready for all of that. It was great. You get so into the head of Jake and after reading it I felt let down because that was it. I wanted more. You gave all this great description of his character and his past and all the emotions that are building inside him. I want this to be the story, him dealing with Bobby and try to make it though school. You have an excellent story here but it isn’t told.
            Lastly, I was very confused by what was happening after Jake unloaded everything. It feels like we cut to a completely different story and then just as quick we cut back to the ending of the first story.

            Aside from that last part, I feel as though your story has the potential to be something great. Everything is there, you just need to reword some of the sentences and focus in on what Jake is wanting.

No comments:

Post a Comment