Monday, August 18, 2014

Story One Opening

  I sat in my car waiting for time to stop and reverse itself. My eyes started to turn red as I waiting for their cars to leave but they waited as well. I guess they were waiting for me. Finally I put my car in reverse and started to drive. I drove with no music playing, no radio, no sound at all. I wanted complete silence so I can try to process the words that began to echo in my head.
  "What do you think?"
  What did I think? I love you. I had a ring. I had plans. I had time.
  I rounded the to turn which lead onto the main highway. We live in two parts of the state now but we met in college. She was two years older than me so naturally she graduated much earlier than I did. However, we were from the same town. I was suppose to head back to Auburn and she to go back to Dothan, where we're from. She lives with her parents while she works for a year. She's in Med School now.
  As I waited at that stop sign, I decided to turn to Dothan. She wanted to wait and talk about this later but I couldn't wait. I had to know what was going on. Is she cheating on me? Am I not attractive to her anymore? Does she still love me? I kept asking myself all these questions in my head and it really only seemed to make everything worse. So finally, I broke the silence, I turned on the radio and forgot everything that had just happened and just focused on driving. I thought live in peace for one hour would be nice. I couldn't admit it them but I knew. I didn't want to be with me anymore.

1 comment:

  1. I like that we're directly in the problem here, and that the narrator is speaking to us about it. There's a lot of exposition, though, and I wonder if another type of opening could get us into memories he has of her while offering perhaps more imagery or action? Something to think about before Tuesday's new opening exercise.

    ReplyDelete